Saturday, September 10, 2011

Patchwork ball

I found this project in Rashida Coleman-Hale's book, I Love Patchwork.  It's an icosidodecahedron made using English paper piecing.  You can also call it a patchwork ball.




To be honest, patchwork has never really been my thing.  Piecing together many little pieces of fabric when one large piece could do the job just didn't seem practical to me.  But now, after doing this project, I'm definitely warming up to the whole idea.

It was so fun and satisfying to make.  It's also a great way to use up those really tiny scraps.  Not only did I use scraps to make the panels on the ball, but I stuffed it with scraps too.  I hate to throw out fabric -- even the tiny, tiny pieces -- so, being able to use the little pieces I've been hoarding was quite a relief.  This is an awesome recycling project!

Since the ball is made using English paper piecing, you'll need to cut out a bunch of paper pieces.  An icosidodecahedron is made of 12 pentagons and 20 triangles with sides all the same length.  I made the shapes using the built-in polygons in Keynote (the Apple version of powerpoint) and I printed them all on one 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper.


Note: I got a notice on September 13 that my previous post violated the Digital Millenium Copyright Act.  I haven't yet been able to locate my cease and desist notice on the website link they sent me, so I can only guess that there was a problem with me showing how I assembled the ball using English paper piecing.  So I took that out.  Sorry!
Isn't it gorgeous?! 





2 comments:

gunksdesigns ( goonksdesigns) said...

More familiar fabric. I really like this ball. You can also use freezer paper. It cuts out two steps and you can iron the folds, or even 3 if you print the template from your computer onto the freezer paper.
This pattern is versitile.you can add a bell to the stuffing or catnip to make a cat toy.

Unknown said...

I was curious if you do custom orders?
I am trying to find someone who can make a red fabric ball 24'' in diameter, in this same pattern.
I am located in toronto
Would you be interested in this project?
What would you charge for something like this?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...